Tuesday, August 4, 2009

state of the union e-mail and a very cool thing

at work I sent out this e-mail...


The need….

plastic grocery bags




The bad….

The cucumber plants look great, tons of flowers, tons of fruit forming… then what???? Who knows… rabbits? And the zucchini … maybe now that it is hot we will get some.




The good…

we harvested one bed of fingerling potatoes this morning and I am quite happy with our yield. Info on fingerlings check out this web site. And now we have an empty bed for a fall crop (our four varieties of winter squash are also thriving and taking over their space quite nicely)




The hope…

the eggplants are taking off in the heat that has finally arrived. No bugs. Tons of flowers.




The unintended neglect…

If you have not had our garlic, onions, peppers, green beans, and/or Swiss Chard. Send an e-mail



the very cool thing...


as we were harvesting the potatoes (OK, I was outside in the sun for a few more minutes than I have exposed myself to since being diagnosed with Lyme disease), we were visited by two fine folk from the department that keeps our students fed. During the winter they had expressed an interest in serving the garden veggies in the school cafeteria. Not really swamped with what I had expected, zucchini and cucumbers, I had not approached them. But by the time the school day had ended, a bag of onions had been passed their way. very cool, if I have to say so myself.

4 comments:

Dana said...

Wayne, you sounded nice as you were poetically meandering with this post...but are you saying that you want students to bring plastic grocery bags from home for something in the garden? can do if that is what you need....

Wayne Stratz said...

Dana---- we use the bags when we go about selling veggies. I got some but could use more.

Lynn said...

That's fantastic to have your veggies in curculation! Sorry to hear about the cukes. Our plants went kaput, too, no idea why. Sorry to hear about the Lyme diagnosis. Does the sun make it worse?

Wayne Stratz said...

Lynn--- I decided to take the floating row cover off the cukes to see if that changes anything. I need to be wary of the sun because of the antibiotics.