Monday, December 29, 2008

Anaheim Green Chiles (chili)

Over at Blotanical I was asked to list my favorite plant when I joined. I want to meet others who love Anaheim Green Chiles, a mild variety of New Mexico Green Chiles. With the variety of plants to choose from, I have become the type of gardener who goes for new and different (having the students help pick varieties also leads to new things). However, in the ten years I have gardened, I have always grown these chiles. These came from my backyard in 2007.

It is the way to go for flavor and a bit of heat. I do grow hotter chiles, but when I make refried beans, I want these roasting in my oven. Lots of chile flesh provide for plenty of flavor. My wife introduced them to me back in the day when we met. We ate them out of a can. But what a difference it is to see them growing long and plump on a plant. To smell them fresh, as fresh as any veggie can smell. Then to smell them roasting. Before I gardened, we vacationed in new Mexico and I witnessed the large roasting operations that take place, even in front of grocery stores. Maybe the smell was imprinted at that moment. But I can't wait to see, smell, touch, and taste them again next summer. If plants can communicate, I can also hear them calling out to me.

OK, like I said they are my favorite plant.

...


5 comments:

lusia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chandramouli S said...

Yummm.... That looks hot and spiiiiiicyyyy! I would definitely want that!

Wayne Stratz said...

Chandamouli--- looks hotter than it is.

Anonymous said...

Looks like something my hubby & son would love to eat! They love hot & spicy food. I'm new to veggie gardening but I plan on growing lots of peppers for them this year. Happy New Year Wayne! :)

Wayne Stratz said...

perrenialG-- peppers were a good place to start for us at the school when we only had 4 veggie beds... long harvest season of tasty fruit.

good luck with making you hubby and son happy with this year's garden.