Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Philadelphia flower show 2 ---- artisans

After the potted plants (see last post) we moved on to the artisans and hucksters who pay quite a fortune to have a booth at the show. We do craft shows ourselves so we are always looking at how others go about it. We came home with this ...

a piece of pottery by a guy who goes by ripple pottery . It was his deep red glaze with some funky blue on it that caught our eye. So this summer I will be trying out some flower arranging Ikebana style... all I know for now is you place the stems into the spikes and they stay fresh longer.


Will post more on it when I try it...



5 comments:

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

Hi Wayne

That seems a brilliant trick, the spikes enabling the flowers to remain fresh for longer.

Rob

Wayne Stratz said...

Rob-- will report back on how it works this summer... and no matter the pottery is beautiful

walk2write said...

That is one lovely pot! Is the spiky thing called a frog?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pot. I have a lovely low black slate vase like this that my mother-in-law gave me years ago. Quite strking with groupings of three flowers at different heights, such as gladiolas, star gazers or even Camellias. But I assumed the spikes were just to get a specific effect - I had no idea they helped the flowers last longer (my vase is very shallow and dries out quickly; the flowers have been known to go without water completely for a few days so any little bit of extra staying power helps a careless caretaker like myself)

Wayne Stratz said...

walk2write--- yes they are. I had to look it up to say that they were

Susan--- I had a few seedlings dry out this week, gladly none of all one type of plant and I still have plenty of seedlings. but is sad all the less.