Wednesday, June 10, 2009

looking possible

and now with three gardening days left... it is looking possible. The big bed of winter squash (buttercup, butternut, spaghetti, and crookneck) is planted. Italian flat green beans and bush green beans... planted. leeks-- mulched. two beds of potatoes weeded and hilled. and lots and lots of this and that. Pepper plants staked and bed weeded. Everything protected from deer which got a taste of the potatoes...


I do it by using green stakes, twine, and floating row covers...






Tuesday, I dedicated our time to a promise I made late last fall to the Director of admissions, who wanted plants instead of stones around the patio outside of her new office. It was to be done last Friday with the help of volunteers, who were coming to the school, however, a storm coming up the coast ended that plan. The students worked hard raking, shoveling, and carting off the stone; and then we planted 20 ornamental grasses around the perimeter.

I stood back and looked over the vegetable garden today and I was pleased. Not as varied as years past, but we are getting close to having something in most of the beds. Still need to plant a bed of a highly favored zucchini, some patty pan squashes, and maybe one more bed of the loved Diva cucumbers. I can get more beans in as we harvest the garlic in early July. Oh, I can't forget the hot peppers are still in the greenhouse and some tomatillos.

Three gardening days left. Lets see what happens.


2 comments:

walk2write said...

Sounds like a time crunch for sure. You've made me realize I should have planted some different squash besides just zucchini and yellow. My brother-in-law in IL grew some pattypan and butternut squash last year besides the usual stuff, and it was wonderful. Hope you get to relax a bit when the work's all done.

Wayne Stratz said...

walk2write--- there will always be stuff we "should" have gotten to... yes, time to relax a bit and maybe catch up on blogs such as yours.